Thursday 20 March 2014

Selfiegate


Now I must admit to feeling a bit miffed when lots of people I knew were posting photos of themselves to raise awareness of cancer:

No makeup selfies: women on Facebook and Twitter post bare-faced photos to raise awareness for cancer

Why was I feeling miffed? Was it because it is ovarian cancer awareness month but none of these posts were contributing to ovarian cancer issues? Was is because friends and family on my facebook page were ignoring my frequent posts asking for donations?

I do feel a bit angry because I so feel it trivialses the feelings of being diagnosed with cancer. The fear that you are going to die, that you might not have as much time with your loved ones as you thought, the grief that you feel knowing you can never have children, the lack of self confidence and loss of sexual identity and the utter feeling of being alone knowing that your life has changed forever. Then someone I know with ovarian cancer posted this powerful image of herself:

Having cancer sucks and the treatments are horrendous and even when you feel happy it is always tinged with a little bit of sadness. It is so much worse than being photographed without your make-up on.

Don't get me wrong I am glad you are raising money for cancer research but don't think your selfies unless you actually have cancer raises its awareness and certainly not for the cancers that are difficult to diagnose.

If you know someone with cancer do something nice for them and make a donation in to a charity of their choice.

If you know me then help me raise money for Target Ovarian Cancer and help women to recognise the symptoms of ovarian cancer so that they can be diagnosed earlier and have better chances of survival. That is what would really make me happy....
 You know what to do 










JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment