Friday 21 March 2014

Running is a social activity

I missed a training run earlier in the week due to some complicated admin that took longer than I expected. I was trying to sort out a mail merge to send out a press release to the local press but it took me three attempts to get it right.

I did manage to get out for a walk/run yesterday evening and I had a bit of company as well. I was joined by a friend who I know through local running club Chorlton Runners. She has had a bit of time away from running as well due to family commitments and was struggling with motivation to get out. Sometimes the most difficult part of a run can be just getting out the door.

I certainly knew that feeling yesterday as it had been a bit wet earlier in the day. Often when I feel like that I will put on my running kit and tell myself I will get changed and see how I feel knowing that by the time I have that I will think well I might as well go out now. It also helped that knowing that someone else would be joining me.

We talked a bit about my cancer diagnosis and also some of the barriers that women can feel that often stop them running or even joining a club. I know I have had some issues in the past because I am a slower runner.

When I lived over in Chorley between 2007 and 2009 I used to belong to a women's running group that had evolved out of the now disbanded women's running network. It was a completely different atmosphere to a mixed group club. Women run for different reasons to men often it is more about weight management, becoming fit and healthy, feeling good about yourself and to enjoy the company of other women. I loved being part of this club no one ever got left behind and whilst I wasn't the fastest I also wasn't the slowest either.

Our local running club is also very good and very inclusive catering for all ranges and abilities and since I first went a couple of years ago it has really grown into quite a big club. I haven't been for a while as I was finding with the cancer becoming active I became increasingly fatigued and struggled to keep up with the beginners group.

Here are yesterday's stats:


However it was good to have some company on the run last night as it encourages you both to push a little bit harder. The minutes certainly flew by and some how we managed to switch from running 2 mins and walking 3 mins to running 3 mins and walking 2 mins. No wonder I was starting to struggle a lot towards the end. So thanks to my fellow clubmate for her company and making me work harder.

I also have some other news my sister-in-law Lynn Broadhurst has also decided to enter the Bupa Great Manchester Run and will also be raising money for Target Ovarian Cancer this will be her first run and I am very proud of her. Please show your support by sponsoring her:

Lynn Broadhurst is fundraising on JustGiving for Target Ovarian Cancer  

 
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment